Fear can cause physical damage to our body. You can feel chest pains, shortness of breath. Fear can cause a panic attack. There are many things in this world that can cause fear. The enemy wants us to be afraid.There is a long list of phobias. Fear can be a prison. Some are afraid to be in a large crowd, others are afraid to be alone. Some are so filled with fear that they cannot leave their homes. You have heard the saying ‘Scared to death’. People even enjoying being scared by and watch horror movies or go to haunted houses, and tell ghost stories. Fear can cause a fight or flight mentality. It can also cause you to freeze in your tracks and make you feel immobile, like there is nothing you can do and that there is no escape.
Yet we do not need to live in fear. 365 times it is written to fear not. God wants us to trust in Him and not be afraid for nothing. When Jesus was tempted by Satan He spoke the Word. We have 365 scriptures to battle fear every day of the year. When fear comes upon you instead of giving into the fear you can speak His Word. I am not saying that this is easy, especially when you are first taking a stand against fear. Are mind is a battle ground. There are so many what if’s that are thoughts gravitate to when facing scary situations. To be honest I know I am one who often looks at the worse case scenario. Yet recent health issues has made me remember that I cannot be afraid that it will only have a more negative effect on my current situation, and can cause my health to get worse. My mother died of a stroke 4 years ago and just a week ago I was diagnosed with hypertension. I had to choose not to be afraid of the diagnosis but be grateful that the diagnosis tells me to care for my body and my health and that I am able to see a doctor. Trusting in the Lord does not come easy for me but He has given me His Word and I can trust Him.
Here are some scriptures to help conquer fear in your life.
- When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Psalm 56:3 NIV
- For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7 NLT
- One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision and told him, “Don’t be afraid! Speak out! Don’t be silent! Acts 18:9 NLT
- He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday. Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils will not touch you. Psalm 91:4-8 NLT
- But Jesus overheard them and said to Jairus, “Don’t be afraid. Just have faith.”Mark 5:36 NLT
- I, am the one who comforts you. So why are you afraid of mere humans, who wither like the grass and disappear? Isaiah 51:12 NLT
- I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4 NLTFear not; you will no longer live in shame. Don’t be afraid; there is no more disgrace for you. You will no longer remember the shame of your youth and the sorrows of widowhood. Isaiah 54:4 NLT
- And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. Romans 8:38 NLT
- Even though I walk through the darkest valley,I will fear no evil, for you are with me Psalm 23:4 NIV
- The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1 NIV
And here is a good article on fear
Most every day I talk to someone who is afraid or anxious (which is generalized fear). Maybe you fear what people think of you… Not having enough money… Public speaking, flying, being far from home, or spiders… Failure or rejection… Losing a loved one… Disease or pain… Death…
We all long for more of God’s peace in the midst of the stresses of our lives!
How Many “Fear Nots” are There in the Bible?
“Fear not!” is the most repeated command in the Bible. In fact, it’s been said that there are 365 “Fear nots” in the Bible — one “Fear not” for every day of the year! Lloyd Ogilvie in Facing the Future without Fear even said there are 366 “Fear nots” in the Bible, one for every day of the year, including Leap Year! God doesn’t want us to go a single day without hearing his word of comfort: “Fear not!”
Actually, as I share in my book Your Best Life In Jesus’ Easy Yoke, there are way more than 365 “Fear nots” in the Bible! Thank God because we need to be reminded to “Fear not” and trust God everyday.
Are there Really More than 365 Fear Nots in the Bible?
Many people say, “It’s a nice thought to say that there are 365 ‘Fear nots’ in the Bible, but it’s not true.” Indeed, there is not a version of the Bible that 365 times says, quote unquote, “Fear not.” For instance, the King James Version says “Fear not” or “Be not afraid” 103 times, but not 365 times.
So why do I say that there are more than 365 “Fear nots” in the Bible?
“Fear” is spoken of over 500 times in the KJV. Furthermore, in addition to the “Fear nots” many times the Bible teaches us to “Fear God,” which really means reverence God alone and do not fear anyone or anything else.Expanding the search to look at verses encouraging us not to worry or not to be anxious would add many, many more “Fear not” Scriptures. This is why I say that there are more than 365 “Fear nots” in the Bible.
A Fear Not Prayer
The Psalmist often leads us in a “Fear not” prayer. The Psalms are the Bible’s great soul book, meant to train us to respond to all life situations and difficulties through prayer and trust in the Lord.
One example is Psalm 56. David has been seized by the Philistines and he starts to become afraid, but instead he sets his vision on his Lord and Savior in his midst. He praises God and his word to him: “Fear not!” He puts his trust in the Lord…
When I am afraid,
I will trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
In God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me?
(Psalm 56:3-4, repeated in similar words in verses 10-11.)
What fear is trying to take a hold of you right now? What threat or trouble are you facing?
Watch and pray with David, “When I am afraid of _________, I will trust in you, O Lord.”
In Your Best Life In Jesus’ Easy Yoke I show you how to use Scripture prayers of the heart like this to overcome anxiety and fear. Let me walk you through your fears and into the loving arms of Christ. You can learn to live with peace and power!