I had an enjoyable conversation today with someone new. Our conversation began with some of my writing. Which continued into religious topics, from confronting sin, to love(not the romantic love but love) Then they asked me a question, ‘How do you love a person who lives a sinful life? We did not get into depth, but it was a question asked to give some thought to. We did not discuss my first thought, which was that Jesus gave His life for us while we were still sinners. What they partially wanted to know is how would this topic be received, and how would one write about this. Even though I will share my views on this subject, this post is more for discussion and wanting to know your thoughts.
So please tell me how you go about loving someone who is living a life that is objectionable to your beliefs?
Here are some of my own thoughts.
- Jesus died for us while we were still sinners. He did not wait till we followed all of His commands.
- He taught us to not only love our neighbor but to love those who hate us.
- There was the woman caught in adultery who the crowd wanted Him to pass judgement on, wanting her to be stoned. He did not condemn her but forgave her of her sin and told her to go and sin no more. He did not tell her how terrible she was but showed her love.
- The woman at the well He offered her living water before He addressed her living situation. He knew who she was and how many times that she had been married and that she was now living with a man that she was not his wife. She then ran to tell others of Jesus.
- On the cross He asked to His Father to forgive us that we know not what we do.
I have many other thoughts but these she me how Jesus loved us as we are. As I grow in His love His love transforms me. Jesus said if you love me you will keep my commands. People talk about falling in love, and love at first sight. To me this is attraction. Real love is more than that, and true love can only be learned from the One who truly is love. I am no expert on love and my relationship with Jesus is not perfect. Not because He does not love me perfectly but because I do not truly understand what love really is. As I grow in my relationship with Him I am learning more what love is and how to love. I have been guilty of being judgmental and even hateful towards others in my zeal for Christ. i have beaten them down with religious rules. I know that a life without Jesus ends in death. I have pushed people away from His love with my thinking about the need to follow the rules. I discuss this in my post
The Hammer https://emotionalpeace.wordpress.com/2015/11/25/the-hammer/
I have learned to look in the mirror and examine my own heart and actions. Seeing how much Jesus loves me and accepts me is teaching me to love others. I now see that He loves us all, even those who continue to reject Him or that who have not met Him yet. It is through us His body to show His Love to the unlovable.
Now it is your turn;
Please leave your thoughts, views, and experiences in the comments.