This weeks Bible study
1 Corinthians 13:4 (NKJV)
4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
1 Corinthians 13:4 (ESV)
4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant
adjective long–suf·fer·ing \-ˌsə-f(ə-)riŋ, –ˈsə-\
Simple Definition of long–suffering
· : suffering for a long time without complaining : very patient during difficult times
Full Definition of long–suffering
1. : patiently enduring lasting offense or hardship
adjective pa·tient \ˈpā-shənt\
Simple Definition of patient
· : able to remain calm and not become annoyed when waiting for a long time or when dealing with problems or difficult people
· : done in a careful way over a long period of time without hurrying
Full Definition of patient
1. 1: bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint
2. 2: manifesting forbearance under provocation or strain
3. 3: not hasty or impetuous
4. 4: steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity
5. 5a : able or willing to bear —used with ofb : susceptible, admitting <patient of one interpretation>
noun for·bear·ance \fȯr-ˈber-ən(t)s, fər-\
Simple Definition of forbearance
· : the quality of someone who is patient and able to deal with a difficult person or situation without becoming angry
Can you suffer without complaining?
Are you able to remain calm when you are being assaulted, verbally or physically?
How do you deal with difficult people or situations?
Are you patient?
To be honest I have failed miserably at all of these. I complain, get defensive when under attack, difficult people irritate me and my thoughts are not pleasant or loving towards them, and no I am not a patient person by nature. I used to have a joke saying, ‘It is a good thing I am not a doctor because I have no patience’. Am I working on these things? Yes, and through God’s grace changes have been made in me.