WHY IT MATTERS?
- One person dies by suicide every 15 minutes.
- A suicide attempt occurs every 40 seconds.
- Over 40,000 deaths by suicide each year, and the rate continues to increase.*
What are the warning signs?
- Depression/feeling down, appetite loss, increased sleeping, loss of interest in life activities.
- Feelings of helplessness, hopelessness or feeling unworthy
- Talking about hurting or killing him/her self.
- Substance misuse (cocaine, crack cocaine, alcohol, marijuana, etc.)
- New/old mental health diagnosis, hearing voices, loss of touch with reality.
- Chronic, debilitating or severe pain.
- Severe anxiety that will not go away.
- Severe overreaction to good or bad circumstances.
- Feelings of rage, hostility or revenge.
- Repression of angry feelings.
- Severe internal conflicts, such as overwhelming guilt or anbivalence.
What are the risk factors?
- History of abuse (sexual, physical or emotional.
- Access to weapons
- Previous suicide attempts or threats.
- Family problems.
- Any type of significant loss
- Relationship difficulties (loss or…
View original post 89 more words